Healing Perspective

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday's Compass

A fool is quick tempered; a wise man stays cool when insulted.
                                                                                   Proverbs

This came into play when my teenager insulted me last week. She is a good kid and a loving child but on this particular day she insulted me and I was quick tempered and very insulted. I realized after reading this passage in preparation for this post that I should see her tirades or emotional tantrums as something that's not about me. Easier said than done. But when time had past, I sat down and talked to her. I realized it wasn't about me. She was seeing the situation through her eyes and she saw that I was in the wrong. Once the emotions were out of it, she realized that the problem wasn't what she thought. We worked through it. My plan for the next blow up with her or with anyone is to see that they are seeing something unjust in their world and staying cool with eliminate the damage that would be caused if I reacted and added to the problem. This will be difficult because the attacks seem personal. The only thing I can do is try and try until I can achieve it. Even staying cool a little bit will help. This doesn't mean I will take mouth. This means I won't add to it until she is in the right frame of mind to hear it.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: